Deb
It seems like such a long time ago, but my measurement of time as far as Sept. 11th goes will always be my Belle. She was 3 months old at the time, and I remember sitting on the couch with her in my arms all day watching the reports with tears streaming down my eyes the whole time. Our morning started off with Alex leaving late for work, since he had worked the night before. I had just said goodbye to him when he came running back in and said,"Turn on the TV, they just reported that a plane crashed into the Pentagon." I turned on the television to see the towers burning? I didn't understand what was happening. I thought he said the Pentagon not the towers. Then it all became clear. There was a fear and a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I had never felt before. I sat there, watching it, not able to turn away. Shocked and crying uncontrollably as I watched people jumping to their deaths. It was like a really bad dream. How could this be happening here? Things like this don't happen here.

Suddenly, the towers were gone, and they start talking of other hijacked planes. It seemed like they were picking up suspects linked to the events all over the place. My mother called and said the FBI had gone to look for one of the doctors where she worked because his name was on one of the manifests, and they believed he was one of the hijackers. Two other men were picked up here at the bus station with lots of cash, and weapons? It just seemed like we were all waiting to see where they would hit next.

I remember in the days that followed, I told Alex that I was sad that Belle would be our only baby. I didn't feel at that point that I wanted to bring another baby into this world. It wouldn't be fair. (Luckily I changed my mind, and now have my beautiful Tori.) But then, it was a fear within me for my family, my child, my husband. 7 years later, I look back at it, and it still seems like a really bad dream, and although we sometimes forget even the nightmares that we have now and then, this nightmare we were all awake for, we all lived through, and we will never forget.

*ciao*
deb
5 Responses
  1. Shannon Says:

    Remembering with you...

    I posted some of my thoughts too.


  2. Desiree Says:

    Wow, you seem to remember every second of the day. I think I would have too if I had my daughter when it happened. Thanks for the post!


  3. Wow, thanks so much for sharing these thoughts as a mom. It's been heartbreaking to read all of these experiences that people are sharing but really positive as well.


  4. AJ Says:

    It's sad that this day is now a part of our lives. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I posted a little something about 9-11 as well.


  5. cherry Says:

    I was in bed snuggling safe with my son watching blues clues and switched channels to see that horror...just sooooo crazy and horrible seeing the buildings...sigh. cherry