Deb
I've never been one to spend carelessly, although my husband would probably disagree with me. I just don't think guys understand that as a woman, it is very difficult to pass up a good deal. We don't shop at expensive stores, and I don't buy expensive clothes, purses, shoes, etc. I just can't justify it. Even if we were rich, I still couldn't justify it. Plus, I just think there is something really gratifying about making something beautiful, out of something that was thrown out, or not so beautiful. As I am out shopping, it is such a high to see that little red or yellow sticker on something and find that if it is something that I really, really like, I can get it for lots cheaper that it would have been regularly.

That being said, it is a fantabulous high when I find truly awesome things for next to nothing. For example...



I found two of these mercury glass vases at Marshall's for $3 on clearance. They are actually candle holders. The bottom opens up and the candle slides right in.



I also found this framed art piece for $3. I don't like the art, but the frame is good, and it is a good size opening. These are great for putting up pics of the family, favorite quotes, etc. Sometimes clearanced art can be used simply for the frames. In some cases, the frames are much cheaper than they would be if you bought a frame alone. Don't be afraid to look past the bad art to the possible uses of the frame.



My sister actually found this for me. We have been looking for nice, inexpensive wicker furniture for the backyard. She has been much more successful that I have, but the other day she emailed me the Craigslist link for this. The best part about it... it was only $10. With a little paint and a new seat cushion it will be spectacular.

My sister and I actually share the love of finding unique items that we can transform. Last week we took a scavenger trip to different resale shops and we found these...



This shelf was $3. I think it will be finding a home in my bedroom.



These shutters were $1. I had been looking for some old shutters for one of those awkward windows that builders put into houses these days and you just don't know how to decorate. Well, these babies will be getting a fresh coat of black paint and will be adding some significant visual interest to an otherwise blah area.

So my lesson is, you don't have to spend a lot of money to have a nicely decorated home. Look past the way something currently looks, and think about how you could change it. What would it look like with a fresh coat of paint? Is it something you could transform into a different use?

Finally, I can't let today go by without saying that today, I am truly proud of our country. I am so happy that in my lifetime, the United States has made history. As our new President has said over and over, "It is time for change!" Yes, we have changed and as a people, we have proven that anything is possible. There are no racial barriers hanging over our country's head any longer, and I truly feel that our country is taking a step in the right direction.



Okay, I'm off to work on one of my projects. Have a good day.

*ciao*
deb
9 Responses
  1. Hi Deb,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the wonderful comments. OK so I'm not the only one who buys art for the frame..lol. I alos love the mercury glass candle holder and the wicker chair is a great find!!$10 bucks.WOW
    I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
    Blessings
    Lisa


  2. Darlene Says:

    I LOVE your mercury glass candle holder. That wicker chair will be awesome. I can't wait to see it finished.


  3. Shannon Says:

    Ooooooh, you got some great finds!! I can't wait to see how you transform them! Hopefully you will have a lot of before and after posts coming up! :) hint hint. :)


  4. Unknown Says:

    wow what great finds you did good!


  5. As a Canadian, I just want to say how thrilled I was to see the inaugaration today. The eyes of the world are upon your nation...


  6. cherry Says:

    I feel the same way Deb! I love to take something old and give it new life...can't wait to see you do that with your new finds. cherry


  7. AJ Says:

    Great finds! Can't wait to see what you've done with them!


  8. Wendy Says:

    Everything you bought was GREAT!! I have never thought of buying art for the frame. I can't believe I have never thought of that. I learn something new everyday.

    Oh, I love your kitchen and the makeover on the chairs.

    Wendy


  9. Rainie Says:

    You are miss make anything beautiful you see. I don't know how you do it?? I wish I had more of it in me.
    I also loved the inaguaration, the new start, the chang for our country and felt truly proud to be an American that day.