Deb
Tori has a habit of asking me, "Mama, do I look FABULOUS?" She's got a whole lot of attitude in that little body of hers. So the other day, I found these denim totes at HobLob for 50% off which made them $2 each. I thought they would looks super "FABULOUS" if we just added some fun fabric to them. Luckily, I had some left over scraps from a previous project left over that would be perfect. Well as usual, my wheels start turning and I end up doing much more than I intended, but in the end... they are "FABULOUS!!!" What do you think??



So I start with this... plain Jane denim tote.



Then I found a "peace" symbol online and cut and pasted in into a Word document.




Printed it and cut it out. Then I traced it onto the fabric and cut it out...(sorry I didn't take a picture of that.)

Then I glued it (yes glued since I didn't have any of that sticky iron on stuff that you put on fabrics). But I did use fabric glue, so at least I wasn't totally off the wall with that. Anyway, back to my story, I glued and then stitched the "peace sign" on the bag.



Then because everything is so much more "FABULOUS" when it is blinged out even more, and because I just can't stop at mere cuteness, I decided to go on and do the inside too. So I measured (professional seamstresses turn away from the monitor and cover your eyes... I am about to do something that may make you spit!) This is my way of measuring... I put the bag on top of the fabric and just eyed it.



Then I added in some pockets for water bottles, crayons, stuff...



I then sewed up the side that was open and the bottom and made a little pouch, that then slips into the tote like this...



Then you pin the inside pouch to the outside tote (again, you seamstresses out there, just close your eyes and save yourself the frustration. I know, I know, just breathe in and breathe out!)



oh, and one more thing... don't forget to change out your bobbin thread (is that what the bottom circle thing is called? I forgot and had to go back and remove all the "white" thread that was showing on my denim bag... aaahhhh!!! So yeah, don't forget to do that.



Then you sew, sew, sew and in the end you have a fun tote that is lined with fun fabric...



and a little girl who thinks it looks "FABULOUS!!"



My girls like their bags so much, and Bella is even asking if she can use it as her back pack this year. Guess I saved myself some bucks with that one.

Have a great afternoon.

*ciao*
deb
Labels: , | edit post
4 Responses
  1. Chris Says:

    YOU are brilliant!!! This is absolutely adorable. I LOVE the peace symbol. I sooo wish I could do that. I have very little sewing skills. Such a great idea!


  2. Cherrie Says:

    I think it loves FABULOUS too. What a great way to save money also.


  3. Amy Jo Says:

    Great idea to save a little time by using a basic tote, but making it much more user friendly with the inside pockets and lining. Love it! I'm an "eye-baller" type of sewer too. Every time I measure things out, I mess up. I'd rather save some time and get it pretty close to right!


  4. klawellin Says:

    CUTE bag!!!

    Just became a follower! ; )

    Kimberly