Deb
Okay, I have a confession...I love my girls...but sometimes they can make me crazy. I mean really, is it necessary to take out every blanket we own to lie down on the floor for a movie night (during the day)? Especially since I'm the one who will end up folding them. Is it sooo hard to remember to keep the food and drink in the kitchen... believe me red koolaid does not come out of carpets! How many times do I need to ask them to put the clothes away that have been sitting in the laundry baskets at the foot of their beds? I realize now that my mom was not bitchy as I was growing up, she was just tired. Tired of repeating herself. I have honestly considered buying a tape recorder so that I can just replay the last thing I said to them, because frankly, it is just too exhausting to say it over and over. So what to do, what to do?

I decided that I needed them to understand the importance of doing their part in the house while at the same time feeling the burn of being penalized for their selective hearing habit. So after looking on the internet and visiting several blogs, I came up with our chore charts.





I designed them and then printed them out on magnetic paper which you can find at Staples, HobLob, etc. I then typed out and printed on magnet paper a list of chores... some they do everyday, and some they can draw for (two bigger ones a week). I also printed out some happy faces in three different colors. The yellow mean they did everything correctly without having to be told. The green mean the chore was done, but not done exactly right, and the red mean it either wasn't done, or in the case of "whining", we just had too much of it today. Basically with that one, it is a three strikes you're out kind of thing.

The results, well I have to say it has been rather quiet in our house lately... which with our girls means a whole lot less drama. They are really interested in how much they are earning for their chores, and are careful not to get fined. In addition to "earning" for doing their chores, they are also "fined" for breaking rules. (hitting, fighting, being disrespectful, taking food out of the kitchen, tattling, making us repeat ourselves, etc.) They aren't earning a huge amount for doing their chores... in all honesty I really low balled it, but that isn't the objective. At their age it isn't about making a huge amount, it is the fact that they are earning it. So if in the course of a day they do everything perfectly, they could earn $.50, but if they fight then they have to pay $.25 each. I explained to them that if mommy decides not to follow the speed limit, then I have to pay a fine, so they will have to do the same if they choose to break a house rule. So far, so good.



Oh, one more thing. We also have a "Help Wanted" list. These are some extra chores that they can choose to do... or not, but if they choose to do them, they can earn extra happy faces, which means extra money. Of course my little Tori decided that she didn't need to do that, but I'm sure when she sees that it is taking her a looooonnnnggg time to save up money for whatever she may want, that will change quickly. Anyway, these chores are changed out weekly depending on what I don't want to do that week. Man, I can hardly wait for them to be old enough to iron... I hate ironing.



I'm hoping that the enthusiasm for this will continue throughout the summer... REALLY hoping!! I'll let you know.

Okay, I'm off to cuddle with my hubby. Have a great evening.

*ciao*
deb
3 Responses
  1. duchess Says:

    What a great idea.
    I really could use this system.


  2. Darlene Says:

    That sounds like a great system to me! Glad it is working.


  3. Mandy Says:

    I am going to have to borrow some of these...what a GREAT idea!!